Monday, August 6, 2012

Grandma Karon's Apple Pie

Although this recipe has my grandmother's name in it, the recipe itself is of my own creation. My grandma was telling me how she made her apple pies one day and it sounded so good. She told me the ingredients and I wrote them down for when the apples were ready to start using. A few days ago I made my first of many pies I am sure. I used her ingredients and experimented with the mixture to make a 'pie filling' like texture with the apples. I made two then and today I made my third pie. The first one went to a neighbor (the people who gave me the apples are diabetics and I didn't know that beforehand...) and the second pie we had for dinner. The pie I made today is for dinner tonight. We will be eating this one with ice cream!

This was the first pie. I made the crust with all white flour.
I made this one especially pretty since I was giving it to the neighbor.


This crust was made with 1 cup white flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour.
This crust is made completely with whole wheat flour.
When I make them like this they usually don't seem as pretty as the others.
But they still taste delicious!
The fourth pie. All white crust.

Pie Filling
12 medium/large apples (or a LOT of small apples!)
4 Large Tablespoons of country crock butter (you can use regular butter, I think it would be about 1 stick)
1-2 Tablespoons cinnamon (depends on how much you like)
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour

Pie
2 Pie Crusts (see below to make your own!)
1 Tablespoon butter, melted

Directions
1. Peel, cut, and rinse the apples.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. In a large saucepan place the butter, cinnamon, sugar and apples. In that order. The butter will melt and dissolve the sugar, and the cinnamon will mix as well. The apples will cook and create their own juice in just a few minutes. Cook on medium heat (5-6 on my stove) for about 7 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly.
4. Sprinkle the flour over the apples and stir. This will give the juice just enough to keep it from being runny.
5. Place in the pie pan on top of the first crust. Cover with the second crust and brush the butter over the crust.
6. Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes. (I did 40 minutes for both of the pies I made today.) The crust will be golden brown.

Crust (this makes enough dough for one pie, or two pies with thin crust)
2 cups flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup Crisco
1/2 cup water

1. Mix together flour and sugar.
2. Cut in Crisco with a fork until the mix is crumbly.
3. Add in water and stir well.
4. Divide dough in half.
5. Roll out the first bit of dough into a fairly circle shape.
6. Repeat with the second half of dough.
7. Use one piece for the pie base and one for the pie top.

Notes
~For best results in the crust brush it with the butter.
~To make this pie even better serve with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream!

More Pics!
See how delicious this is? Now you will have to make it because
you will be craving it! :)
Here is your piece!

Other Apple Recipes: Apple Breakfast Cake, "Baked" Apple Oatmeal, Grandma Karon's Apple Pie, Crockpot Apple Butter, Fried Apples, Apple Pecan Spice Bread, Apple Oatmeal Spice Drop Cookies, Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Cake, Apple Raisin Bran Muffins, Cinnamon Apple Swirl Bread, Apple Oatmeal Pancakes, Healthy Applesauce Muffins, Apple Pecan Cake, Healthy Crockpot Applesauce.

2 comments:

  1. Nom! I'm bookmarking this recipe .. that crust looks absolutely perfect. Most of the time when I make pie the crust is too thin or to crumbly. Going to give this one a shot soon!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This pie crust recipe has turned out so good every time I've made it. It's always light, flaky, not too thick or thin.

      Helen

      Delete

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.