Sunday, September 9, 2012

DIY Cloth Napkins

After seeing this post via SecondHand Couture I was inspired to sew some cloth napkins for when I get married and move out. I am working on finishing up as many projects as I can before then so working on this tutorial was a good use of time today.

I love how frugal this project is! Autry doesn't really use/need napkins, but I sure go through a ton! I know this is one thing I will love having in my new house!


Making cloth napkins is really simple. Basically there are 5 steps. 1. Find the fabric you want to use. 2. Cut it into squares. 3. Pin the edges under. 4. Sew the edges. 5. Wash the napkins for use.


I chose this fabric because it will look nice with my white dishes. I had a blue and white fabric I liked better, but it would've only given me four napkins and I wanted 12 total.

Tutorial


1. Cut the fabric into squares. I chose to do 13 inch by 13 inch so that I would have a 12 inch by 12 inch napkin once it was finished.


2. Fold under and pin the raw edges of two opposite sides of the napkin. Sew them down.

3. Fold down the remaining two raw edges and pin in place. Sew them down.

4. Repeat steps 2-3 for each napkin.


5. Cut off any strings which may be hanging off the napkins.


6. Run them through the washer and dryer and then they will be ready for use!

This Post Was Shared!

4 comments:

  1. So cute! LOVE how easy this looks!

    XOXO
    -Daisy Nguyen from PS BANANAS fashion blog:
    http://psbananas.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it was super easy! I just had a ton of sewing machine problems today so it took me all day to finish the project...but with a sewing machine that isn't throwing a fit it should only take a few hours tops.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial, Helen :)

    Thanks so for sharing this on Waste Not Want Not Wednesday! I've pinned this and look forward to seeing what you've been up to this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I've actually been up to quite a bit since Chrismtas is only a few short weeks away!

      Helen

      Delete

Thanks for stopping and leaving a comment! I LOVE reading comments! {They also help me know what you are interested in reading on my blog!}

Comments on posts older than 14 days are moderated. Other comments may be removed if they are inappropriate or spam. I do read all comments but can't always respond to each one because I don't get online very often.

My email can be found on my 'about me' page if you would like to contact me or you have a question.